Saturday, March 26, 2005

Trail to Chimney Rock

Today the kids were off with friends so Karen and I did a little exploring. We drove out to the old western town of Prineville ("The Oldest Town in Central Oregon") for lunch. The Crooked River goes right through town and after lunch we drove along it towards Prineville Resevoir.

Initially the river flows through a wide canyon filled with farms. The terrain changes quickly into a narrow canyon and the river becomes a great year-round fly fishing water. We saw many fishermen, along with an eagle, a pair of great blue herons, and many trout eagerly rising to the surface in pursuit of a hatch. Made me wish I had my fly rod with me.

Along the way we took a nice hike from the bottom of the canyon to the rim and a place called Chimney Rock. Here's a view from along the trail. Small birds sang for us most of the way and the wild flowers were stating to bloom. A nice day all around.